Sunday morning we were up early to eat our porridge breakfast bought especially all the way from England ahead of the two hour gap between starting the run. Dressed in our outfits it was soon time to head to the start point, where the first task was to queue for the toilets, a very long wait meaning we were just in time to make it to the start before it was time to go!
Wishing each other luck, we ran together for the first kilometre or so before splitting up. I had an arm band (such an awesome idea) with time splits to do the 42km in 4 hours 15 minutes, where as Estelle was aiming for around 4.30. I can't say I remember much about the run, it all seems a bit of a blur now, but there were some pretty special moments:
- Chatting in limited English to a veteran runner who was doing his 15th marathon. He was very baffled when I told him I was from NZ, he couldn't believe that I would travel all that way just to run a race! I didn't have the heart to explain it to him! Anyway I later saw him twice more during the race, I must have run ahead and then he caught me up again, but each time he shouted out 'Hello New Zealand!'
- The little kids handing out water at the drinks stations.
- The roller blading medics who were dispensing giant tubs of vaseline and a sort of deep-heat spray to runners like they were going out of fashion.
- Seeing Tim and Simon on three separate occasions, ready to pass us energy gels, bananas and take photos.
- The crowds of people cheering in Spanish, none of which I could understand, although the words 'animo', 'venga' and 'chica' will forever be etched into my memory.
- The Spanish supporters handing out bananas, bits of fried donuts and even slices of tortilla!
- The people standing on their balconies banging saucepans with wooden spoons to encourage us, I'm not sure they would've been popular with their neighbours at that time of the morning!
- Running through an echoing road tunnel with the Spanish runners behind me singing 'Ole, ole, ole'!
- Seeing Tim handing out jelly babies to runners, most of whom had no idea what they were, but happily took anyway!
- Starting to flag at about the 39th kilometre I resorted to walking a bit (I think I was starting to hit the dreaded 'wall') when a Spanish runner tapped me on the elbow and motioned for me to run with him and his friend, which I then did - without them I doubt if I would have finished under my goal time.
So it was a tough race, but an amazing experience, and it was an incredible feeling to cross (or dance as many of the guys around me did) the finish line 4 hours and 13 minutes later, sneaking in just under my goal time. Estelle came in a bit later, having had an equally amazing experience.
Silvia joined us at the finish line as well and returned to our apartment afterwards with us for some well deserved champagne and takeaway pizza. Then it was time for a shower and siesta before heading out to celebrate with our medals proudly around our necks!
It's a great feeling to be able to tick 'run a marathon' off my list of things to do in my life! When's the next one?!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment